Saturday, July 16, 2005

My Addiction???

It's been a long, long time since I last written anything on my blog. It's weird... in a sense that this connects me to my friends dispersed all over the continent - indirectly.

Just an update for those who deem I've been MIA for far too long. All's well in life... finally, i guess. Had been through a rollar coaster ride leading to nowhere; ranging from falling grades (for my part-time course), emotional turmoil, dissatisfaction from job and of course pay! Now everything else seems not as important or as crucial as it is to me, except living my life easily.

Have you ever watched the anime "Shaman King"? You should if you haven't. I've trying to take on the philosophy (of life) that the main character "Yoh" resonates - aspire to lead an easy life by being true to yourself and those around you. All along, things have to be perfect (or at least near perfect) but things have gradually changed as you realised that "Heck! Nobody seems to appreciate your hard work anyway."

At the end of the day, it's all about working smart and playing hard rather than the old work hard, play hard mentality.

And so begins my fascination with anime (my way of playing hard) and my sudden interest in capsule machines (spent quite a bomb on it) and of course, plush toys. Like people addicted to the roulette and jack-pot, banking their fortune and sheer luck, the capsule machines elicit such emotional ripples as well. You never know which design you are going to get and the thrill in obtaining the one that you have longed for is immerse (as well as the disappointment/ frustration that you'll experience when you keep getting the same design even though you had switched to other machines).

To date, I count characters from Disney and Inuyasha (Jap anime) as my main collection.

Childish? Likely.
Foolish? Maybe.
Nothing better to do? Absolutely.

But as time goes by, I've learnt to be a little wiser. I stopped going for those capsule machines that contain only one or two designs that I like and those that cost more than S$2 per capsule. People, I realised, are more inclined to purchase cutesy characters that cost a dollar rather than spend a bomb on collecting separate figuerines.

You see, I only sell those extras that I have to recoup my losses and most of them do not make up a full set. Thus, making it less profitable for those who buy from me, and wanting to resell at a higher price. Economics. Profit and marginal gain. Demand vs. supply.

Labels: