Thursday, November 03, 2005

Back from BKK

Yup. Finally did it in a spur of moment (almost). Went to book the tix for my 7-day trip to BKK not too long ago, and had less than 2 wks to do my research and plan the itinery. And yes, I went free and easy (with my bf)... not with the tour grp (so boring....).

Not too bad for beginners. Let's see...

Day 1:
- Went chaktuchak from 9am to 3pm, non-stop w/o food and w/o going to the toilet. The funny thing is that I kept drowning myself with mineral water and yet I didn't feel the urge to answer the call of nature until much later. Must have down at least 6 bottles of 250ml during that period. Boy... am i a water tank or wat? Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I tot it would be. I perspired a lot though. Btw, i only managed to comb half the market. It was simply too huge for me to complete in one day.
- Went to Suan Lum Night Bazzar. Not too bad. Air-conditioned shopping area (somewat like our Bugis Street, but in a even better env).
- Cab driver drove us to the wrong hotel.... after going several rounds along where our hotel actuali is. Had to walk about half hr in the middle of the night, along the wulu wulu streets, back to our hotel.
- Hotel: the iron rod that holds the shower curtain was not fixed to the wall. The whole bar drops (including the curtain) when you tug gently.... heater spoiled.... bathroom floor soaked... haiz.... my 'wonderful' 3-star hotel

Day 2:
- shopped whole day...
- went for "Thai Girl Show"... was a bit disappointed as I was expecting acrobatic performances... nonetheless, still an eye opener. Some Ang-mos couldn't take it... their expressions.... priceless.

Basically, the remaining few days had me:
- touring the whole of BKK (i'm not kidding)
- kana conned by a syndicate to shop at "Thai export centres" (horrible... from a 'lecturer on the street to a tuk tuk driver, and to a 'doctor' volunteering his services at the temple on the make-believe "Buddha Day")
- eating tom yum soup & waffle (various kinds... everyday)
- listening to their latest hit songs on radio (& singing to the sales attendants in order to find out the song title)
- kana mistaken as a Thai almost everywhere I go
- got my hair cut and hair colored
- kana flood in the midst of shopping (@ night) & drench... almost up to knee level
- and spending hrs to walk from one shopping centre to another (each building abt 20-30mins walk from one another) in search of THE BRAS.

So, if you need to go BKK... guess i could still offer an advice or two on where are the best places to shop, and what you can expect from each of districts (i.e.: less-travelled backlanes of Chinatown offers wholesale shoes ranging from S$4 to S$12 & etc)...

hmmm......

Labels: