Tuesday, July 06, 2010

1st July (木曜日) - Voyage de la Vie @ RWS

Thanks to Cheryl, I got 4 tickets to Voyage de la Vie - 2 for me & Tuk, and the other 2 for Ah Hua & her friend. (^ _ ^)



I went for the show thinking it was a Singapore version of Cirque du Soleil as the show had been positioned as "a theatrical circus spectacular [that told] the universal story of a young man seeking to discover his destiny", but was deeply disappointed.

Bits that stood out like a sore thumb were:

a) The plot sucked BIG TIME. It really was more of putting the different acts together in a half-hearted manner. The boy (which Jonathan Leong played) was supposed to be missing link to connect the different acts together. But his role was under utilized and there was barely any interaction with the respective performers. It was just so rojak (aka random).

b) The 'desire' scene was a mess and totally lost me there. The music sucked and the stage design for that scene too.

I'm sure there were others, but I couldn't remember them at this point.

Well, not to be critically cynical, the show did have its merits too. Kudos to the stage designers (except for the ones in-charge of the 'desire' scene) and the stage effects. Really mesmerizing and impressive.

Was also greatly impressed by Viktor Kee's stage presence - the team should really utilize him more. His role as the lantern master should appear alongside with the boy and interact with the respective performers more. His body language was just so damn mesmerizing and convincing.

Was also impressed (and with great pain when I saw him contort) by Alexey Goloborodko. I had the goosebumps (in a good way) when he performed. I couldn't stop pinching Tuk who was sitting next to me.

Had draped in cold sweat when Martti Peltonen performed as well. Same goes to the rest of the cast who had performed mean feats.

Oh well. The script writers really need to do something about it. But overall, still quite an enjoyable show (if you don't go in with the same preconceived notion as I did). Go in with an open mind and you'll be fine.



After the show, Cheryl, Tanpopo and us met up for a drink at Hard Rock Cafe @ RWS and chilled.

Sang the same birthday song twice to 2 strangers in the cafe, and headed home to rest after that. Oh well. I must be getting old to retire home so early. Damn!

Labels: ,