Thursday, November 11, 2010

11th Nov (Thurs) - Tromso

There goes my arctic adventures just when I finally made up my mind a few days ago to screw the budget and just indulge while I'm still in Tromso. Unfortunately for me, the reindeers were still in the forests and would only be herded into the farms this weekend - which meant no reindeer sledding for me since I would be on my way back to SG by then.

Had thought of switching to Ice fishing or snowshoeing or perhaps even arctic fishing but the ice wasn't thick enough so I could do none of the above. What a downer. Sigh.

So the next best choice I had was to go chasing the Northern Lights again. This time round, I visited a husky farm (but didn't take on the husky sledding since I'd already done it in Rovaniemi), sat in a lavvu (Sami Herdsmen’s tent) and waited for the Northern Lights. But I wasn't that lucky. It got all cloudy so I pretty much stayed inside the tent most of the time, drinking tea and having mini slices of a cake. Kinda boring. Perhaps I wasn't with the right company - i.e.: like with friends to take turns to tell ghost stories or head out to create some snowman or snow angels. Sigh...





But Tromso itself was beautiful. Very tranquil and the mountain view unhindered. A small town with loads of nice and friendly people. :) They even made a long traffic tunnel in a cave. Pretty amazing.







I also visited the rather interesting Polaria...





...and got out of town to get to the Mt. Storsteinen cable car.





The only grouse I had (apart from the lack of activities that I could participate in due to my wrong timing), was that things were freaking expensive! Okay, it's Norway. But it was like having to pay 11 Euros or thereabouts for a Burger King meal, without up-size. FAINT. Seriously.

Oh man... I'm not sure if I would ever head back to Tromso again. The cost of living in Norway really made me think twice. But on the other hand, it's still rather attractive when I start thinking of all the things I could do if I had gone over in Jan/ Feb instead. Oh man... I can't decide.

Labels: